Skip to content
Curtin University
Integrity and Standards Unit

Public interest disclosures

What is a public interest disclosure?

The Public Interest Disclosure (PID) Act 2003 (the Act) encourages you to come forward with information about wrong-doing without your identity being revealed or fear of reprisal.  The Act also provides a system for the matters disclosed to be investigated and for appropriate action to be taken.

What is meant by "wrong-doing"?

Under the Act, wrong-doing means any of the following: 

  • Improper conduct e.g. corruption, bribery, fraud, theft.
  • Offences under WA State law.
  • Substantial misuse of public resources.
  • Substantial mismanagement of public resources.
  • Substantial risk to public health, safety or the environment.
  • Matters of administration that can be investigated by the State Ombudsman.

Wrong-doing by who?

A disclosure of wrong-doing must be in regard to public interest information relating to the performance of a public function by a public body (in this case, Curtin University).

This means a disclosure, to be covered under the Act, must be more than just a general complaint about dissatisfaction with a product or service, or a grievance that can be resolved by agreement between parties.

Who can make a disclosure?

Anyone, and a disclosure can be made anonymously. However, the discloser must believe the information is, or may be true; and the discloser must make the disclosure consciously and voluntarily under the Act.

To whom should I make a disclosure?

The person from time to time holding or acting in the position of Director Integrity and Standards Unit (ISU) is designated as the Public Interest Disclosure Officer (the PID Officer) of Curtin University. The contact details of the PID Officer are as follows:

Charlie Bertilone, Director Integrity and Standards Unit (ISU)
L4, Building 100
Bentley WA 6102
Phone: (08) 9266 1230 

The University currently does not have a back-up PID officer.

The PID Officer is responsible for receiving disclosures of public interest information relating to matters falling within the sphere of responsibility of the University.

NOTE: you are encouraged to initially contact a PID officer to confidentially discuss your matters of concern, prior to making a formal disclosure.

Not sure where to go from here?

The PID officer can provide you with detailed procedures about how to make a public interest disclosure and the processes that are followed once a disclosure is made. Confidential enquiries may also be made via a restricted access mail box

In addition, more information may be obtained by visiting the Public Sector Commission website or by calling the WA Public Sector Commission's PID Advice and Referral Line on 1800 676 607.

To obtain a more detailed understanding of what is involved in making a protected disclosure, the Public Sector Commission has a video titled Speaking out - A Guide to Making a Public Interest Disclosure which is well worth a look.